Your Paramedical Appointment
Depending on your age, health history, and the insurance amount you applying for, you may be required to complete a "mini-physical" exam, also known as a paramedical exam. This exam will be performed by a licensed medical professional. We will let you know if this is required for your application and, if so, you will receive a phone call directly from an examiner to schedule this exam. There is no cost to you for this examination and it can take place at your convenience at your home, place of employment, or an exam office.
The exam includes obtaining your:
- Height and weight
- Blood pressure and pulse
- Urine and blood samples
*Depending on your age and medical history, an electrocardiogram (EKG) may be required.
Additionally, you may be asked to provide information regarding your health history, including your physicians’ names, prescription medicine, and visits to doctors (if applicable). You will also be asked to show your driver’s license for identification purposes.
Prior to the Paramedical Appointment:
- If at all possible, fast for 10 - 12 hours (if not, try not to eat any food 2 hours prior).
- Do not engage in heavy exercise within 24 hours of your exam.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages for at least 8 hours.
- Do not smoke or drink coffee for at least 1 hour before your appointment.
- Drink a glass of water at least 2 hours prior.
- Advise the paramedic of any medications you are taking.
Generally, within two weeks after your paramedical appointment you will receive a “Policy Offer”. You can choose to accept or reject this offer, or request a change to the offer (such as a change to the insurance amount or the term length). If you accept the offer, you will receive your policy by mail or e-mail, usually within 7-10 business days.
After receiving your policy, simply follow the instructions to sign and return any applicable acceptance forms along with your first premium payment (via check, credit card, or electronic funds transfer). Upon receipt of your first payment you will be insured!